Monday, September 26, 2005

What's up? I'm back again with yet another band I've been listening to and I'm sure not many of you have heard of this band, Funeral For a Friend. It's a pretty dark name for a band but I promise you they are not dark or anything like Marilyn Manson or something crazy like that. They are rock band that is definitely a little bit more on the heavy side, but the heavy guitar is accompanied by amazing lead guitar melodies. I first started listening to these guys last year at some point when my friend told me about them. As I mentioned before, myself being a guitar player, they have some nice complicated stuff that I am trying to learn in order to get better at guitar.

The band consists of five members:

Matt Davies - Lead Vocals (Melody)
Kris Roberts - Lead guitar
Darran Smith - Lead guitar
Gareth Davies - Bass & Backing Vocals
Ryan Richards - Drums & Vocals (Aggression)

Funeral For A Friend formed originally from a band called January Thirst. They were a hardcore band from South Wales, who were started by two friends, Kris Roberts and Johnny Phillips, in 2001. The band also included Keri (Kris' brother) on guitar, Matthew Evans and Mike Davies both doing aggression vocals and Andi Morris playing bass. Soon afterwards, Keri was replaced by Darran Smith, who was previously a part of local legends, Tripcage.

Currently, the band has out 3 albums. The first was titled, "Seven Ways to Scream Your Name." This one is really hardcore and not really my type of music. The second album was, "Casually Dressed & Deep in Conversation." Some good songs on it are, Bullet Theory, Juneau, and Escape Artists Never Die. There is also a real mellow song that's good called, Your Revolution is a Joke. Their latest CD, "Hours," is my favorite album by them. It's a lot calmer compared to the other heavier albums. The best songs on it are, Drive, Recovery, StreetCar, and Alvarez.

I highly recommend downloading some of their songs that I listed. They might seem a little heavy at first, but the more you listen to them the better they get. Thanks for stopping by. Peace.

CD's and songs to download:

CASUALLY DRESSED & DEEP

IN CONVERSATION

Bullet Theory
Juneau
Escape Artists Never Die
Your Revolution is a Joke

HOURS

Drive
Recovery
Streetcar
Alvarez

2 Comments:

Blogger Savs said...

Ahipple, they have some dates coming up in NYC, I looked into them and as far as I can tell, they are all sold out which is upsetting. They are actually on tour with Story of the Year which would be an awesome show. If I find out that something is coming around here Ill make sure to post it.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Savs said...

Kristen,
Yea, they are awesome to listen to when you work out. The songs you talked about are definitely good pump up songs. Today I jsut learned how to play Streetcar on my guitar. It's really fun to play and I pretty much have it perfectly down which is exciting. Also, they came out with a DVD but it's only available inthe UK. I ordered it on EBay the other day, so after it comes and I watch it Ill let you guys know how it is. It's called "Bleeding in 8mm"

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home